Mostly Alicia

Just a blog by Me (Alicia) and once in awhile Robert where we share photos, family history, and just life in general with family and friends.

Friday, 3 July 2026

Weekly Musings of the 3rd

 

What a hot, hazy, humid end to June and start to July.  Canada Day saw storms moving through the area, we had high winds and a bit of rain but Ottawa got hit really hard and had to cancel the evening show and fireworks.  They had 100mm of rain with flooding in many areas and lots of power outages as well.  

This triple H is suppose to last at least until Sunday and our little A/C unit is working overtime each day.  

This week also meant the beginning of the replacing of the sidewalks which, of course made it challenging going in and out of the building.  From our balcony the fun part was watching people who either wanted the workers to let them in the building (where they didn't live) or walking exactly where they were trying to work. 


The first two walks are having the finishing part done today and I am sure that means the front will be the next one.  After all the walks are done they are going to replace the parking lot too.  Should be a fun time but certainly really needing doing this year, there are way too many potholes now.

Had the chance this week to catch up with my sister and chat about life in general and solving all the problems of the world - LOL.  It was great to get the chance to just sit with her and video chat.  I think back on the long distance phone calls after 6 or on weekends and not seeing the person or writing letters if they were overseas because phoning and the connections were just too difficult and now we can sit and chat with video and not worrying about the minute costs and see the loved one.  That, I thank Meta for too.

I still kept to my morning walks although still hot I was glad to walk as early as possible to be out of the full morning sun.  As well, hubby's pictures are finished the clearing, sorting and naming as well as my Pinterest has been deeply cleared out from over 5,000 to under 100.  I am sure the collection will grow again but I am planning on purging each summer in the future to keep it from getting silly again.   

As I stayed out of the heat I am enjoying the 3rd book of the Anna series


Another powerful book and I cannot wait until the 4th one comes out next year.  

So, that was the very quiet week that was and I must say I hope we get to open the windows at night once more next week.  Keep cool everyone and enjoy the weekend.  Happy 4th to my American friends and family.

That's me - ROTFL

4 comments:

  1. I'll start at the end and head backwards... Love Sister Felicity!

    Also really echoing vibes of solving all the problems of the world, in chats with siblings. Technology may have changed how we do this, with our grandparents using letters and our parents using phone calls, my son and I used instant messaging to the other side of the globe when he was deployed. The Skype technology wasn't quite good enough yet at that time. It is much better these days, with even zoom school during the pandemic.

    The dog and I are enjoying the not quite as hot weather on the deck. Today and tomorrow are the days that it is legal to shoot off fireworks in our town. And there have been a few even during the daylight hours today, but not as crazy as it used to be. One of the good things about bad things is that inflation is suppressing how much money people have to burn.

    It will probably make my next blog but my daughter-in-law lost one of her long-term birds. She had him for 21 years. Yes this was the one that she took to the vet in this past week's blog. We will hold a family funeral for the bird on Saturday.

    I hope you have a good weekend and that the weather gets better next week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry to hear about your DIL's bird, that is sad. Somebody here was shooting off fireworks last night which I found weird since it was no longer the first nor was it the fourth (we do have some former Americans here who celebrate the 4th as well as the 1st) but you are right, there are not as many and I agree not the money to blow on stuff like that. Enjoy your 4th and week ahead.

      Delete
  2. Ugh, that humidity has been absolutely brutal lately, so I totally feel for you. I can’t believe how hard Ottawa got hit with those storms, what a massive mess for Canada Day. Hopefully your little A/C unit keeps holding on strong because this heatwave is no joke.

    The sidewalk drama sounds hilarious to watch from the balcony, though. People-watching is honestly the best entertainment, especially when everyone is just ignoring the construction workers. Good luck with the parking lot next, hopefully they patch up those potholes quickly so you don't have to navigate an obstacle course all summer.

    It’s so true what you said about video chatting. It really makes you realize how crazy it used to be waiting until after six or on weekends just to make a long-distance call without breaking the bank. It's so nice that you got to catch up and solve the world's problems with your sister.

    Also, major props to you for getting up early for those walks and doing that massive Pinterest purge. Cutting it down from five thousand to under one hundred is insane inspiration. Enjoy the rest of your book and stay cool inside, hopefully we both get to open our windows soon.(((BIG HUGS)))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Paula - good news is the walks are done but bad news is the paving is going to be a bigger job because of all the sinking that happened, they had to haul in more dirt and put that down first - whew! Oh, and of course the dust is just flying into windows - LOL. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete

Fun with Words Part Deux - by Robert

  How are you? is a phatic expression (or a social formula). It is a group of words used for social reasons rather than to ask a real quest...