Good Morning family and friends. Most of you know that Tigger crossed the rainbow bridge on Monday but I still wanted to share the week of it all as well and I couldn't resist putting up her baby picture. This was the face that stole our hearts in 2013 when she had been abandoned by her mother at barely 3 weeks old.
Anyway, Sunday morning all the Tigger's symptoms came back including throwing up and not being able to poop again. The blockage was either back or had not truly gone through. We cleaned up through drips from one end and sickness in the other. We could both see that she was suffering and first thing in the morning (Monday) we called our vet once more but this time to ask for an end of life appointment.
They were so sorry to hear things had not mended and we had an appointment for noon. Of course, right after Tigger came out and although she had not climbed up on the rocker, hubby's chair, couch nor footstool, she, that morning sat on each and every one of them, jumping with seemly ease. We, of course, started to doubt our decision but then I watched her as she lay sleeping on the footstool and saw her spasms of pain. She was hiding it very well but I could see it.
The appointment was hard.
This was Tigger's last picture before she took a turn for the worse. It was a help that the attendant said to us - you really did all that you could and this is the right decision. With tears we said good bye to our beautiful girl who was both the most different cat that either of us ever had and by mutual decision she is also the very last cat we shall ever have. Neither of our hearts can take another end of life decision, it is just too hard to say good bye to a pet that has so entered one's heart.
When we came home to our empty home we began to clear up all toys, tissue paper and all of Tigger's things - except that little toy she is holding while sleeping. I couldn't let that one go. We donated all extra food and unused items to our regular pet store and told them of Tigger's passing and thanked them for all their service through the years that we had both Bear and Tigger.
Now that all things that reminded us of her were taken care of as neither of us could look at the stuff without feeling sad all over again, the sad day was done although both of us still looked for her when we were doing something that usually brought her out of wherever she was to watch us.
Tuesday we had decided we had to start washing the carpets in both our rooms. Under both our beds was where she would go when she was feeling sick and although we cleaned up whatever mess she did, it was time for both carpets to have a thorough cleaning. My room was first as there was quite a few drips under my bed and although I did wipe them up... well, you get the idea. In between hubby finishing off the cleaning plus windows in my room I went out and got the groceries including our turkey for this weekend's Thanksgiving. By the end of this day we were both pretty bushed - LOL.
Wednesday was hubby's room where Tigger slept most nights under his bed and where her litter box was. Washing the carpet didn't take very long and both rooms looked much brighter. We still kept looking for her at those times and both of us had to remind ourselves that she truly was gone. It is amazing how much of one's day is to do with the routine and care of one's pets. So many things that were done no longer were needed and it felt weird. Although considering we had done these things for 13 years it meant that they were firm habit in both of our days.
Thursday was our usual monthly trip for gas and hubby's smokes at the reserve. Where gas was $1.89L in most places it was $1.52 at the reserve and as always worth the drive there.
Today I am making up my annual batch of cranberry sauce which I got from another friend/blogger. Making it in the slow cooker is the best and I thank her again for the recipe.
I also got myself some flowers this week and placed it where I use to not be able to because of Tigger. I avoided cut flowers and plants just because Tigger would climb anywhere to get at anything green and growing whether it was okay for her or not. We would not get any or keep any plants as there was only one place in the whole apartment that she could not get to and it was too small to use often.
Today hubby has his semi-annual dental appointment and I am going to look at some shoes as mine are wearing out. Next week we plan on cleaning the rest of the carpets in the apartment. It never ceases to surprise me at how much fur one pulls out when cleaning the carpet even though one vacuums all the time.
Oh, and I did get another puzzle done this week too ;)
It was a fun one.
And so I wish everyone a lovely weekend and happy Canadian Thanksgiving!




I’m so deeply sorry to hear about Tigger. She was such an amazing cat and was so truly loved by both of you. It’s never easy letting them go, but I completely agree with your decision—stopping her pain was the kindest choice. I still have a box of Bella's things, so I completely understand how much those memories stay with you.
ReplyDeleteHappy Thanksgiving to you both! I’m pretty sure I know the recipe you mentioned, and I’m actually going to make it for ours, too. Have a wonderful holiday! (((BIG HUGS)))